Sardine cake makes another an excellent, very tasty training treat and most dogs love it! It freezes well.
2 large tins of sardines in tomato sauce
8oz (225g) self raising flour or wholemeal flour
8oz (225g) Porridge oats (All Bran makes a good alternative)
2 – 3 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon oil
- Crack the eggs into a large measuring bowl. Finely chop the garlic, and add to the eggs along with the tin of sardines. Blend to a smooth consistency with a fork.
- Mix in the flour (and porridge/All Bran if using). The mixture should be a reasonably firm consistency. Add more flour if necessary.
- Pour contents into a loaf tin and spread evenly. This must be well greased! Sprinkle the greased loaf tin with flour to avoid sticking.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until springy when pressed and when stabbed with a knife, the knife comes out clean. Allow to completely cool before removing.
- Divide into portions and freeze.
- For training, chop the sardine cake into ½ cm sized squares.