Liver cake makes an excellent, very tasty training treat and most dogs love it! It also freezes well.
1Lb (450g) lamb or ox liver
8oz (225g) self raising flour or wholemeal flour
8oz (225g) Porridge oats (All Bran makes a good alternative)
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon oil
- Crack the eggs into a measuring jug and add a little water. Mix together with the oil.
- Chop the liver and garlic, and blend together in a food processor adding the eggs, water and oil. Blend to a smooth consistency. Pour into a large bowl and mix in the flour and porridge oats/All Bran (if using). The mixture should be a reasonably firm consistency. Add more flour if necessary.
- Pour contents into a loaf tin and spread evenly. This must be well greased! Sprinkle the greased loaf tin with flour to avoid sticking.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 25 – 35 minutes, until springy when pressed and when stabbed with a knife, the knife comes out clean. Allow to completely cool before removing from the tin. Divide into portions and freeze.
- For training, chop the liver cake into ½ – 1 cm sized squares.